Sunday, January 28, 2018

Instant Pot Egg Souffle

I love eggs, and I love Starbucks.  Over the weekend I was checking out recipes and I stumbled across a couple of recipes for "Starbucks Sous Vide Eggs" which I had never heard of before.  I have been trying to make my own coffee every morning to avoid paying for coffee.  So far it has worked, I have only been to Starbucks maybe 2 times in December.  Yah for my pocketbook! Boo for my knowledge of new Starbucks menu items.

When you head over to the Starbucks website, the first thing on their site is about their "Sous Vide Eggs" which essentially are like an egg souffle made in a Sous Vide machine.  Sous Vide is a method of cooking the food in a water bath. Food is in a vacuum sealed bag.  It's fancy schmancy and you need a special machine.  I decided to give these a try in my instant pot as many of the recipes had recommended.

Ingredients:
4 Eggs
1 Cup Cheese (I used cheddar/mozza mix)
1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
Other Spices (I only used S&P for this round)
4 Slices Pre-Cooked Bacon
Cooking Spray


I thought I would have enough small mason jars to use but I didn't.  The mason jars that didn't have food in them were the 500ml size which has a fluted top which would not allow for the eggs to come out easily.  I found a large silicone muffin tin which I don't really ever use.  I decided that I would cut this pan up to fit into the instant pot.



Mixing the Souffle - Add all ingredients except the bacon into a blender. Mix on high for 25 seconds.  Volume should double.  



Preparing the Instant Pot - Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the instant pot.  Add in the wire baking rack that comes with the unit.  

Preparing the Muffin Tin - Spray each muffin cup with non-stick spray.  Add a 1/4 of the bacon to each cup.  Set the muffin tin inside of the instant pot on top of the wire rack.  Gently pour the egg mixture into the muffin cups.  This is a bit tricky to do while the tin is inside of the unit, but because of the flexibility of the silicone, it was impossible to pour it in the cups and then getting it into the unit.




Setting the Instant Pot - After checking all of the seals and gauges, put the lid on and turn the pressure gauge to closed.  Use the steam function and set for 7 minutes.  When it is done, let it come down in pressure naturally for 8 minutes.  Mine came down naturally in 6 minutes so I just left it in the pot for another 2 minutes.



Removing the Egg Souflees - I had to use tongs to grab the silicone muffin tin and pulled it out of the pot.  The eggs looked like little eggy muffins.  They were kind of silky like on the top.  I gently removed an egg from the tin.  It was soft but held it's shape.  

I decided to throw a little bit of Dave's Hot Sauce on the plate with my egg souffle.  The souffle was quite tasty.  It was like a really soft omelette.  It was a bit silky, and soft and had a mild cheese flavor.  The bacon was a nice addition.  



Overall I would give this recipe a 4 star.  It was pretty labor intensive for the four little souffle but it is delicious.  Would I pay $5 for one of these at Starbucks?  Probably not.  These would be a good option for a fast food low carb or Keto diet option though.

As always, thanks for reading.

Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment